by Jeff Jarvis
YouGov, an innovative polling company in the UK, surveys people in Britain after the foiled airline terror plot and finds:
* 73 percent believe we are in a war on terror: “Do you think that the West is in a global war against Islamic terrorists who threaten our way of life, or do you think that Islamic terrorism is a regional problem that poses no real threat to the West?” A vast majority goes for option 1.
* But 79 percent say we are not winning the war on terror. (No way to know whether the first person plural refers to the UK or the West, of course.)
* 14 percent say that Britain “should continue to align herself closely with the USA” on foreign policy; 45 percent say it should be closer to the EU; 27 percent say neither. Before you analyze this to mean that we should have a nicer foreign policy so those nasty terrorists don’t get mad at us and kill us, see this: Only 12 percent said that Britain should “change its foreign policy in response to the terrorist threat” by being “softer/ more conciliatory.” 53 percent said it should be “tougher/ more aggressive.” I leave it to you to define tough.
* A majority — 55 percent — favor profiling:” Passenger profiling is a recent term used to describe the process of selecting passengers based on their background or appearance. Would you like to see ‘passenger profiling’ introduced?” Only 29 percent said no.
* 69 percent want to detain terror suspects without charges for up to 90 days (a new law allows that there but only for 28 days).
* Do they think that Britis politicians “generally exaggerate the terrorist threat?” A plurality — 49 percent — said no. 12 percent said yes “because they are ill informed themselves” and 23 percent said yes “and they know that the truth is not as they portray it.”
* Do they feel safer than they did before 9/11? A tie: 46 percent yes and an equal number no.
* 86 percent believe it is fairly or very likely Britain will suffer another terrorist attack in the next year.
* 50 percent believe British Muslims are moderate; 28 percent believe they are not; the rest don’t know.
* 60 percent believe attacks from al Qaeda will get worse.
* Finally, how long do they believe the “conflict against Islamic terrorists such as Al-Q’aeda” will last? Less than a year: zero. 1-2 years: 2 percent. 3-5 years: 4 percent. 5-10 years: 12 percent. 10-20 years: 16 percent. More than 20 years: 44 percent.
[via The Guardian]
A whole culture of complaint has grown up among the media and among leaders of the Muslim community. The protest letter signed by 38 Islamic organizations, with three MPs and three Lords, is typical of the buck-passing. They blame British foreign policy, which is unhistorical. . . . By attacking Blair instead of Osama, the protesters give the radicals a free pass and feed a sense of alienation among perennially disgruntled youth. . . .
As for too much of the media, the attitude is that typified in a 52-page document from the International Federation of Journalists – 52 alarm bells – where FIEJ describes the response of government to terrorism as “a devastating challenge to the global culture of human rights established almost 60 years ago … we are sleepwalking into a surveillance society.”
A devastating challenge to the global culture of human rights?
Speaking personally of challenges to human rights, I’d rather be photographed by a hidden surveillance camera than travel on a train or bus with killers carrying bombs in their backpacks. . . .
he civil rights lobbies are working from a passÃ© play book. They are blind to the lethal nature of the new Salafist totalitarianism. They won’t recognize that we are facing an irrationalist movement immune to compromise and dedicated to achieve its ends of controlling every aspect of daily life, every process of the mind, through indiscriminate mass slaughter. It is a culture obsessed with death, a culture that despises women, a culture devoted to mad hatreds not just of Americans and Jews everywhere, but of Muslims anywhere who embrace a less totalitarian, less radical, more humane view of Islam. These Muslims are to be murdered, and have been in their thousands, along with “the pigs of Jews, the monkeys of Christians” and all the “dirty infidels”.