- Star-Ledger: Since 9/11, “cigarette sales are up. Weight- loss centers say business is down. Liquor stores say business is up, and addiction-counseling groups have seen an increased demand for alcohol and drug treatment services.”
– Bush loses weight.
– Unspecified panic and terror: On the one hand, I suppose I’m glad the FBI keeps trying to keep us informed. But I wish somebody would tell me what I’m supposed to do when they issue a nonspecific warning of impending terror attacks. Distrust all strangers? Stay at home? Move to Canada? (Anybody know a good real estate agent in Toronto?) Help!
– But now EVERYONE will have cause to panic: A civilian (not a mail worker, not a government worker, not a media worker, not a defense worker, just a plain old worker) gets anthrax.
– Howard Kurtz on impatience with the war, already: “Call it the miniseries mentality: Shouldn’t this show be over by now? Why, the Gulf War ended in a mere 100 hours.”
– Turncoat Brit bozo.
– More Brits wigging out: fearing nukes.
– Sensible Brit says celebs are meaningless.
– Very sensible Brit Tony Blair asks Britain to “hold its nerve.”
– More eloquent Blair: “We should never forget why we are doing this. Never forget how we felt watching those planes flying into the trade towers….î
– Question: “Is it better for bin Laden to be dead or be captured?” Tony Blair’s answer: “I think it is better that he be stopped.”
– Sensible British idea: requiring immigrants to carry photo ID.
– Debka: 1 million Russians ready for war.
– Terrorist how-to.
– Seinfeld tainted mail episode pulled.
– CNN tonight: “What is it about New Jersey?”
If you can’t go to the Here Is New York Gallery in Manhattan, you can now see this amazing collection of 1,000 photos online (and buy them soon): HereIsNewYork.org.