The last thing we need is Hollywood meddling in real life. Oliver Stone wants to make a terrorist movie — no, no, anything but that! Now comes word via Variety that the U.S. Army called together the people behind Diehard, MacGyver , Delta Force One, Missing in Action, and even Being John Malkovich, and Grease (do terrorists sing and dance?) to brainstorm about terrorist targets and possible solutions. This is what stands between us and Armageddon? This from an industry that’s acting as if the cancellation of the Emmys matters. Tonight’s Access Hollywood and ET make me want to spit.
- Another great graphic from the Guardian on the assault on Afghanistan. The Guardian has been great lately.
- Russian Communists say nya-nya: We were right to fight in Afghanistan.
Here is what Oleg Shenin, a member of the former Soviet Communist Party, had to say on the score to a PRAVDA.Ru correspondent (Shenin used to work in Kabul in the beginning of the 80s as a councilor).
ìEven back in those years, we could feel the threat that Islamic fundamentalism would spread in the world and the Soviet Union decided its troops should enter Afghanistan. I have to tell you I have never considered that step to be a mistake. On the contrary, it was a mistake to call the troops off. We just left our friends and Yeltsin and his team betrayed them. So now, 12 years afterwards, Russia is involved in military conflict again. Why is that? Because the Russian interests will always be present there. Who grew the Taliban? The USA did ñ in order to struggle with the USSR. The fact that the Taliban seized the republic is the direct outcome of that action, when the Soviet troops were withdrawn. Now it seems that America has to deal with the blizzard it has caused itself. Another thing is that I do not approve the bombing of Kabul, Kandagar, and other settlements. I say this is not a counter-terrorist operation, but air aggression. They said they would bomb only the camps and guerrillasí bases, but they hit the civilians. This is the new Yugoslavia. I do not consider the position of the Russian President to be immaculate. In my opinion, Putin is dealing with what George Bush senior and Yeltsin did. Since Russia took the side of the Northern Alliance, I do not exclude some responding actions from the Talibs against our country.î
- Brit journalist arrives safetly in Pakistan.
- Debka: “In the estimate of DEBKAfileís experts, between 30 and 50 terror activists are organized in teams in the United States. They are all armed with detailed missions for implementation in major US cities on both coasts as soon as the US launches its offensive in Afghanistan.”
- Debka: “Bin Laden in Single Sentence on Videotape Brings Israel into Anti-Terror War and Undercuts Arafat.”
- Drudge: Bin Laden uses the Internet — email and instant messages — to give orders.
- More parodies of the picture of the guy atop the WTC.
- More anthrax in Florida.